This is an extraordinary pair of Greener Grade 60 boxlock ejectors, built for General Sir Walter Pitt-Taylor. From the difference in length and configuration of the stocks, it seems likely that the No. 1 was built for, or modified for the use of General Sir Walter’s wife or son, and that they saw use in India as well as England (see below.)
Both guns have 30″ barrels and 2 1/2″ chambers. Both were proved at .729, and both still measure the same. Also, they are choked almost identically: .016/.016 and .018/.016. No. 1 measures 1 7/8” x 2” x 14” with much cast off (toward central vision), while No. 2 measures 1 7/8” x 2 3/8” x 15 1/16″ with a moderate amount of cast off. The weights are, respectively, 6 lbs 7 oz and 6 lbs 8.5″. As can be seen from the photos, both guns have highly figured wood, and each features best quality engraving, including, in an oval, the maker’s name under hunting scenes. Additionally, each gun features a scalloped receiver and arcaded fences. A really fine pair. Now, a bit about the man for whom the guns were built.
General Sir Walter Pitt-Taylor was born in 1878, and was commissioned into the Prince Consort’s Own Rifle Brigade at 17 years of age. For his service in the Second Boer War he was appointed a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order. In WWI he was commander of 145th Infantry Brigade, then Chief of Staff for XIV Corps. After the war he was posted to India, where he became General Officer Commanding-in-Chief at Western Command. He retired in 1939.